Franciscan Monastery and Church of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Trg A. Mihanovića 10, Klanjec
Tel: +385 49 550 032
In the center of Klanjec there is a great building of the Franciscan Monastery with the Church of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The Franciscan Monastery and the church were built between 1630 and 1686 by the Croatian vice-roy Nikola and his cousin Sigismund Erdödy for the Bosnian Franciscans from the nearby Radakovo. The parish church in Klanjec is one of the first early Baroque sacral monuments in Croatia and the mausoleum of the Erdödy family. Beside the sacral art treasure, the monastery also keeps two restored metal sarcophagi of exceptional artistic value with the remains of Sigismund Erdödy (1639), the Croatian vice-roy and the founder of the monastery, and Emerik Erdödy (1690). The collection stored in the monastery keeps the centuries-old soul granted to this town by industrious monks and artist with their mastery and craft. Their work and importance in the cultural and public life is preserved in the library and archives of the monastery's library.